Monday, March 08, 2010

Enough

We had a great service this last Saturday. Per usual the sermon was fabulous. Francis Chan was talking about what God promises us in this life (via video - he hasn't started making weekly trips to Wisconsin yet - but a girl can dream, right?).

There are a lot of people who want God to promise health, wealth and happiness. There are churches that claim that He does promise these things. But if you read the Scriptures carefully, you'll see that those are not promises He makes for our lives here on earth. The truth of the matter is that He promises that our lives will be difficult here. We live in a fallen world, and until Jesus comes back to exercise His official reign over all things, the consequences of sin abound.

So what does God promise to carry us through? Himself. And the question that Francis posed for us was this:

Is that enough for you?

Seriously, is God enough? Do we live like He is enough? Do our words and thoughts and actions communicate to the nonbelievers (and believers) around us that God is enough?

I want to be satisfied with God no matter what difficulties this life may present. I long to find fulfillment and joy in knowing that He is with me no matter what comes.
Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28:19-20
In the end, that is all I need to know.


click here for an old post on the same issue. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment