Wow. I just survived three days out of town with no car, no cell phone (and therefore no one's phone number), and NO INTERNET!! It is a miracle that I did not lose my mind. There are people who really appreciate an opportunity to be disconnected from the world and all alone in a little bubble. I am not one of them.
It was a really great weekend, though. We took a group of students to a conference in Chicago, and while the other leaders and kids went to the sessions I stayed home with the Caleb and Alison. It was hard to stay back knowing that they were having amazing experiences and phenomenal worship at the convention center. But it was a good opportunity for me, too.
Last week before we left I wrote about letting go. This weekend I realized that one of the things that I need to surrender to God is you. More specifically, our students; the young people in my life who I am so longing to see turn their lives over to Christ.
Matt and I can only do so much to draw these kids to God. Its kinda like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." But its hard to watch people you love making choices that lead them away from Jesus. It is SO hard to sit and listen to the conversation among girls who are finding their identity, security, and fullness in things that will ultimately leave them empty.
I love them all so much, but I have to let go. God has brought us here to tell the world (or, at least the Northwoods) about Himself. I need to be faithful with that, but then I need to trust Him to do the work inside. It isn't up to me if any of our young students choose to turn from life as they know it and follow Jesus. It is a choice that they have to make; one that God has to initiate within.
It was nice being there this weekend, despite the complete communication withdrawal. A good reminder that I am not in control and that it is not up to me.
Let go. Let God. And pray without ceasing for the ones you love who aren't convinced that He's worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment