Unfortunately, just as easily as I remember that truth, I forget it. I can go through out my day functioning as if this body was totally my own and my choices completely mine to make. Usually I regret most of the choices I make on those days. It isn't a burden to walk with God - it is the most fulfilling and joyful way to live. . . and yet I forget.
What would it have been like to be alive when Jesus came? I definitely have a "grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side" mentality about that. I mean, come on. It must have been so much easier to remember Jesus when he was actually standing next to you, right? Oh, those disciples had it good. . .
Except then I read the bible and see that the disciples were totally confused and clueless most of the time, and I have to admit that if I was alive when Jesus was here I might have actually thrown stones at Him. He wasn't popular. And it certainly wasn't easier.
No, we have it much better now. We have the whole story, and we have this God who came down to rescue us from our sins living inside of us when we trust in Him. We have it good.
We will have moments of spiritual amnesia at different points for the rest of our earthly lives. . . but the more we remember Jesus, the more that we look upon God's face and seek to know Him more and live for Him more fully. . . well, the more we will understand the joy that comes from living out the purpose for which we were created - and the more we will remember.
This Christmas, try to remember that Jesus came for a reason. He had a job to do. It was a rescue mission that has been unparalleled in all of history. He was and is Emmanuel, God with us.
Remember that Jesus is the reason we live, breath, move, and have our being. Jesus is our Savior, our King, our brother, and our friend.
In the chaos of the parties and presents, try to find a quiet moment to thank Jesus for pocketing His God-card and humbling Himself to become a mere man. He did it for you. He did it for love.
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
look full in His wonderful face,
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
Merry Christmas. . . May God bless you, each and every one. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment