It is 7:30 on Christmas morning. I'm sipping a delicious cup of Kringle Kreme coffee, watching the blustering wind bend and shake the trees outside, enjoying the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree, and washing the pillow that Caleb just threw up on.
Too much information?
Well, I have to be honest, it seems like holidays are just not in the plan for the Fisher family this year. Over Thanksgiving when Caleb and I were sick, I was so disappointed; frustrated that the wonderful plans we had made were tainted by an unexpected interruption.
This time, I think it is ok. I don't always learn from the lessons God tries to teach me. . . and even when I do I very quickly forget. But over Thanksgiving, I think I actually learned.
I learned that making plans is fine as long as we hold them loosely, because a thousand different things could happen to change them. There is no reason to be disappointed when things don't go our way because quite often in the end, they go better! And even when they don't, there is so much to enjoy and savor - even in the yuck.
Its ok that Caleb is laying in my bed with the throw up bowl on Christmas morning. Santa can come tomorrow, Colorado will be waiting, and the delay of our vacation is just a way of extending our anticipation.
God's ways are better than mine, and I'm glad that my plans don't always come through. All that matters is that Jesus came on this beautiful morning 2,000 years ago to make a way for me. . . a way that nothing - not sickness, sadness, or even death - can hinder, or alter, or interrupt.
I hope no one in this house is sick next Christmas, but if one of us is, I hope I remember to find joy and peace in Jesus, not in plans that have no warranty and no guarantee.
Merry Christmas.
Love from our house to yours. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment